The general ‘School Rules’ and ‘Great Expectations’ are published in the Homework Diary and are displayed outside each classroom.
- Be respectful of yourself, your school and others.
- Keep yourself tidy.
- Be kind.
- Be safe.
- Be on time.
- Be organised.
- Pupils are expected to attend school everyday and arrive on time.
- Pupils are expected to do their best to work in class and at their homework.
- Pupils are expected to come to school, properly prepared for class and other school activities.
- Pupils are expected to wear their uniform with pride and respect and come to school clean and tidy.
- Pupils are expected to show respect and consideration for all pupils, teachers, staff and visitors to our school.
- Pupils are expected to follow the instruction of their teachers (& supervisory staff).
- Pupils are expected to act in a safe manner in school and at school events.
- Pupils are expected to be tidy and careful with school property.
Please note that the following lists are not prescriptive and that every possible rule cannot be listed. However if a behaviour is disruptive, dangerous or disrespectful, it is not acceptable.
General School Behaviour
- Bullying or being a party to bullying will not be tolerated under any circumstances.
- Children should be in the school grounds no earlier than 9.10a.m. and no later than 9.30a.m.
- The school day finishes at 2p.m. for Infants and 3p.m.for all other classes.
- No child should leave the school without the permission of a teacher. Parents collecting children for dental appointments etc. should collect their child from classrooms or yard and should always inform a teacher when they are doing so.
- Following all absences the parent should sign the appropriate note in the homework journal. Absences of more than 20 days will be reported to The National Education Welfare board.
- Full school uniform is to be worn every day except on swimming days/P.E. days.
- The instructions of all staff are to be obeyed at all times.
- Pupils shall walk and not run in the school buildings.
- Pupils shall address all teachers in the school in the appropriate manner – Ms., Mrs., Mr., followed by the surname.
- Pupils shall address each other using their first names and not surnames.
- Pupils shall respect all teachers, ancillary staff, fellow pupils and visitors to the school.
- Pupils shall not use bad or disrespectful language.
- Aggression, threatening or violent behaviour as well as name-calling and verbal intimidation of any kind cannot be tolerated.
- Pupils shall respect school property – furniture, books, fittings, etc.
- Pupils shall help to keep the school clean and litter free.
- Pupils shall leave the school grounds at 3.00pm. (Infants 2p.m.).
- Pupils shall not cycle, skateboard or roller-skate etc. in the yard.
- In accordance with our healthy eating policy pupils should not bring sweets, crisps, chewing gum or fizzy drinks to school.
- Pupils are not allowed to have mobile phones switched on while in school.
- Pupils are to enter and leave school buildings and grounds in an orderly fashion.
- Any type of threatening behaviour is unacceptable.
- Pupils are expected to play safely and not engage in rough or dangerous play.
- Dangerous games such as rugby, ‘chains’, ‘trains’, mock fights etc. are not allowed.
- Pupils shall address each other using first names and not surnames.
- Pupils shall not deliberately exclude other pupils from games.
- Pupils are expected to play fairly and be ‘good sports’.
- Pupils are not permitted to play football on the concrete/tarmac areas.
- Pupils shall not enter the school buildings during breaks without the permission of a teacher on yard supervision.
- Pupils shall not go outside the perimeter fence without the permission of a teacher on yard supervision.
- Pupils shall not litter.
- Lunches are not allowed to be eaten in yard.
- Older pupils are expected to show good example to younger pupils.
- Pupils are not allowed to throw sticks, rocks or other objects.
- Pupils should not interfere with the games of other pupils.
- Pupils are not allowed to go to the front of the school during playtime.
- Pupils follow the directions of staff on yard duty.
- Pupils are not allowed to kick or throw balls or other objects against any walls.
- Pupils are not allowed to retrieve a ball or any other object from the road or path outside the school.
- Pupils are not allowed to play on the banks or ditches surrounding the playground.
- Pupils are not allowed to play on the steps/railings outside the classrooms.
- Pupils shall stop play and go to their assembly line as soon as the bell rings.
Instances of serious misbehaviour are reported to the principal and a written
record of all such instances is kept. Parents will be informed of instances of
Examples of serious misbehaviours:
- Threatening behaviour, verbal or physical, towards fellow pupils and staff
- Leaving school premises or grounds without permission during the school day
- Kicking/fighting/spitting/throwing objects
- Foul and abusive language
- Deliberate disobedience
- Persistent misdemeanours
- Abusing the property of the school/staff or other pupils
- Rough or dangerous play
- Racist Remarks
- Uncontrolled behaviour
- Any other behaviour not listed which the staff, Principal and Board of Management deem to be a serious misdemeanour