Grange National School
Our school is situated in the townland of Grange approximately 2km northwest of Fermoy in County Cork. Grange National School, Fermoy has been open at its current location since 1910.
Prior to this pupils of the area walked to the one-roomed school building which can still be seen just over 100m from today’s Grange School.
The replacement of the old school in 1910 came about after successive damning reports by Dept. of Education inspectors. Nearly 100 years later following successive applications to the Dept. Of Education for improved accommodation at Grange School a third classroom was built. As pupils were still being accommodated in portocabins, the school continued to lobby the Dept. for a new school building.
In October 2014 a new 5 classroom extension was blessed by the school’s patron, Bishop William Crean of Cloyne and officially opened by Minister Seán Sherlock (Minister of State at The Department of Foreign Affairs).
There were 143 pupils on the school roll at the official opening –the same number of pupils enrolled in the one-roomed old school in Sept. 1841.